Thank you for joining us by supporting children in Greece
Tom & Koula Papadopoulos
THE IMPACT OF THE GREEK ECONOMIC CRISIS ON CHILDREN
• 40% of Greek children currently live below the poverty line.
• Schools around Greece have recently reported alarming numbers of children coming to school with nothing to eat, as school lunches have become a luxury most families cannot afford.
• The cycle of poverty is perpetuated with increasing high school dropout rates children from rural areas, immigrant families, or large families with young parents.
• Youth unemployment is near 50% and unemployment has steadily increased from 7.7% in 2008 to 25% today.
• Economic conditions have increased taxes and pushed family income back to 1985.
THE SOS SOLUTION
4 SOS Children’s Villages in Greece with 28 homes, where orphaned and abandoned children and youth are placed in loving, stable families. Over 5,000 families served in 9 social centers in the last 5 years:
• Psychological support for parents and children
• Provision of material goods such as food and clothing
• Job-skills training for parents.
• Educational support for children
• Referral services for families with issues related to medical care, legal concerns or social services.